In an effort to get myself out of my raggedy funk and to half-assed participate in the Art Every Day Month, I went to Michael's last night and bought some acrylic paints. I have two very small chunky canvases that I bought years ago thinking I would love to be able to paint with acrylics on these little fatty canvases and pop them on the wall without the torment of framing. The thing is I don't really know how to paint in acrylic. Some initial observations:
- Adding a new acrylic color on top of an old acrylic color makes it the new color and not a neat hybrid of both.
- Must mix on the pallet and not really on the canvas. Not so with watercolor.
- Adding water does not solve any problems and only thins the paint and makes it yucky.
- Accidentally putting my quilted paper towel on the wet paint makes for a cool texture.
- I have no control with acrylic.
- I don't know how to add text to a canvas. Initial attempts were not pretty.